With the end of World War II in May 1945, the activities of the Deutsche Reichspost ceased. The occupying powers take over the supreme power of government by means of a declaration and confiscate the assets of the Deutsche Reichspost. Law No. 76 initially prohibits any form of communication.
However, mail traffic resumed from mid-1945 under the supervision of the occupying powers.
New postal administrations will be set up in the 4 occupation zones and Berlin. The first joint central offices are set up, e.g. the head office for the postal and telecommunications system of the United Economic Area (Deutsche Post) and the German Post Central Office in the French zone (Rastatt). These postal administrations are managed in the legal form of a special administration (based on the Reich Postal Finance Act of 1924) and transferred to the Deutsche Bundespost by law on April 1st, 1950.
Post has been a stock corporation since 1995